Once you have your shoulder surgery scheduled with Dr. Hicken, he will go over what you should do to prepare for your surgery. We’re here today to share some tips on how to best prepare yourself and your loved ones to ensure a smooth recovery post-operatively. When you follow the pre-operative guidelines given to you by Dr. Hicken, prepare properly for recovery, and follow your post-operative recovery plan, you’ll be able to heal from your surgery much more efficiently.
Tips for a Smooth Recovery
- Plan and prepare meals before your surgery. Store these in the freezer so that you have more time to focus on healing rather than stressing about what to make for dinner. Go grocery shopping before your surgery to stock up on everything you’ll need. Don’t hesitate to ask family and friends for help as well. Taking care of this seemingly simple task can help your recovery go more smoothly as you make sure to not strain your shoulder following surgery.
- Make sure you’ve got plenty of pillows before surgery. Your shoulder may feel the most comfort when it’s propped up in a certain way. In addition to this, you may be most comfortable sleeping in a recliner for the first few nights following surgery. Everyone is different, but if you find yourself having difficulties laying down in bed, try out a recliner.
- Excessive reaching, bending, or straining will delay your recovery. Before surgery, make sure that the things you’ll be using on a daily basis are within reach. If you forgot something, don’t strain your shoulder trying to reach it. This is where our fourth tip will come in handy.
- Ensure you have someone who’s willing to help take care of you while you’re healing. This person will need to help you get home from the hospital, can help with medication, and ensure that you’re not experiencing any complications. They can also make sure you make it to post-operative checkups as well as physical therapy appointment, which brings us to the importance of our fifth and final tip.
- Follow your recovery plan put together by Dr. Hicken and your physical therapists diligently. Your physical therapist will be experienced in helping patients heal from surgeries such as shoulder surgery and can give you guidance and at-home exercises that will greatly benefit you as you recover. Make sure you’re communicating about any and all pain you’re experiencing.
These tips will help your recovery to go smoothly. As you follow these as well as your post-operative treatment plan, feel free to reach out to Dr. Hicken and his staff with any and all questions you may have about your recovery or surgical procedure.
If you’re experiencing shoulder pain, Dr. Hicken can help. He’s experienced in diagnosing issues of and related to the shoulder, you can trust your health in his hands. To schedule your appointment with Dr. Hicken, please give us a call at 435-787-2000.
“Dr. Hicken has done 2 shoulder surgeries for my daughter. We highly recommend him!”Angela